Hair loss problems are found in people of all age groups due to various factors such as lifestyle changes, improper diet and lack of hair care. Excessive stress aggravates hair loss.
Apart from hereditary problems, health problems and lack of hair care routine, hair loss can also be caused by excessive smoking. Excessive smoking and alcohol consumption can cause irreversible damage to the body. Smoking narrows the blood vessels that are meant to deliver nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, as well as oxygen, to the hair follicles.
The main cause of hair loss is inactive or dead hair follicles. Smoking deprives your hair follicles of the nutrients they need and dies over time, causing hair loss. When hair follicles are damaged, it becomes difficult to regrow new hair or even continue to grow existing hair. Due to the toxic substances in cigarettes, excessive smoking can completely disrupt your hair growth cycle.
Read these articles on our platform to learn about the effects of smoking on your hair and learn more about hair loss and hair regrowth.
Will my hair grow back if I stop smoking?
Smoking causes hair loss by restricting the proper flow of blood and nutrients to the hair follicle. If you decide to quit smoking, your blood vessels will no longer shrink and your hair follicles will become active and healthy again.
Therefore, it is possible to regrow hair by stopping smoking. A regeneration process takes place in the body if there is abstinence from the harmful toxins of cigarettes. Quitting smoking is actually the best way to reverse the damage it has caused and try to regrow healthy hair.
However, if you do not feel significant changes even after quitting smoking, you should consult a specialist. There may be some other medical reason behind your hair loss that needs to be identified as soon as possible. Hair experts, specialists, hair doctors and hair surgeons can help you regrow your hair using many medical and surgical as well as non-surgical methods.
Does smoking make your hair thin?
If with every smoked cigarette the question arises: "Does smoking cause hair loss?”, the answer to that is yes. Smoking once in a while may not be that bad, but if you are a regular smoker, you are doing significant damage not only to your lungs, but also to your hair.
Why smoking causes hair loss:
• Poor circulation: Toxins from smoking cause blood vessels to narrow, which restricts essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and oxygen from reaching the hair follicle, thereby compromising its health. Healthy and strong hair can only be obtained when the hair follicles are active.
Therefore, without receiving the necessary nutrients from the blood, the hair follicles die and the hair growth cycle is disrupted, resulting in significant hair loss.
• Weak immune system: smoking hampers the blood circulation process in the body, thus causing many troubles. As the scalp lacks the nutrients it needs, excess oil production can also occur, which can lead to dandruff and other scalp infections. These infections can aggravate hair loss problems.
• Polluters: Due to the harmful pollutants in cigarettes, smoking is not only harmful to smokers but also to passive smokers. When smoking, pollutants such as nicotine and cotinine are released into the air, they can settle in the hair shaft. Exposure to polluted air can cause serious damage to the hair structure.
In addition, the alkaline nature of toxins released from cigarettes can also disrupt the scalp's pH level, which affects hair growth.
If genetic is observed hair loss, smoking can exacerbate the problem. Carcinogens found in the polluted air of smoking can even block the production of proteins necessary for hair growth.
Thus, we can conclude that smoking is associated with hair loss. Since smoking can affect the health of your hair in several ways, you should try to quit this bad habit no matter how hard it is for you.
Will quitting smoking help my hair?
Smoking directly and indirectly affects hair growth and health in many ways. After quitting this bad habit, you will be able to see positive changes. However, this does not mean that you will not need to take care of your hair health in order to speed up the hair regrowth process.
It is very helpful to use some natural remedies such as aloe vera gel in the hair which helps to clean the hair follicles and also avoid dandruff. You also need to make sure that your hair is supplied with essential nutrients both internally and externally so that it can grow quickly. It is also recommended to massage coconut oil or any other suitable oil into your scalp every day to improve the blood circulation that is disturbed due to smoking.
Here are some ways to ensure hair growth after quitting smoking:
• Balanced diet. Hair growth requires a balanced diet. Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins A, C and D, zinc, iron and protein for faster hair growth. Taking these vitamins not only affects your hair health, but will also provide you with strong immunity against diseases.
• Hair care routine. In addition to eating healthy, you also need to provide external nutrients to your hair. Make it a habit to massage your scalp for 5 minutes at least twice a week to improve blood circulation. You should also use hair masks and conditioners to moisturize and nourish your hair.
• Avoid stressful situations. Stress is one of the main causes of excessive reasons for hair loss. As a result of stress, you should do activities like yoga and meditation. Not only will this help improve the health of your hair, but it will also help you avoid the temptation to smoke. Natural herbs including ashwagandha, shatavari, bala and ginseng can also aid in the detoxification process. Also, to resist the temptation to smoke, you can eat 1 teaspoon of ajwain and cinnamon or 2-3 basil leaves.
The above are Ayurvedic and natural remedies that can help you resist the temptation to smoke. However, if you do not find these remedies effective for hair growth, you should immediately consult a hair specialist for diagnosis and hair growth.
How long does it take for hair to grow back after quitting smoking?
The time required varies from person to person for hair regrowth after quitting smoking. It largely depends on the condition of the hair follicles and the intensity of the damage. Generally speaking, you should be able to see a noticeable difference within 6 months with proper hair care.
However, there may be cases where the hair follicles are completely damaged or almost dead. It will take longer to cure such a situation. The treatment you receive will also depend on the intensity of the damage that has already occurred. In case your hair follicles are only in the dormant stage, you can regrow your hair using natural remedies. However, if the hair follicles are dead, you may need specialized medical attention.
Many medical treatments can help restore damaged hair. These include medicated shampoos and medications, as well as other treatments. You can also undergo surgical treatment such as hair transplant, if the situation cannot be controlled otherwise.
It is important to consult a specialist as soon as possible for diagnosis hair loss problems and initiate appropriate treatment. The sooner you start treatment, the better results you can expect. Smoking causes hair loss, but it is never too late to quit and start the right treatment to cure your hair loss problems.
The experienced and skilled specialists and surgeons at Rubenhair Clinic can offer solutions to all your hair problems. We have been offering our customers high quality for several years hair transplants procedures.
WhatsApp: +371 26777776
Get a free online consultation!
I agree to the processing of personal data terms and conditions.Get a consultation!
In the hair transplant clinic Rubenhair Latvia performs high-quality hair transplantation, eyebrow transplantation with the manual FUE scarless and sutureless method, as well as hair treatment procedures. In the hair transplant clinic Rubenhair Latvia, all services offered are certified, safe and recognized in the Republic of Latvia and the European Union. Services are provided by qualified and certified doctors as well as medical personnel with appropriate professional education and professional skills. Certified, modern devices and only tested and certified preparations are used for the procedures. Hair transplant clinic Rubenhair Latvia is a fully certified and licensed medical clinic in Latvia and the countries of the European Union and is registered in the Register of Medical Institutions of the Health Inspection of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Latvia with registration number 010001474.